Monday, October 16, 2017

Getting To Know God

Getting To Know God: The Charm of Home
What do we do to get to know God?

What God isn't.
Don't follow Israel's example and worship other gods.
“Be very careful never to make a treaty with the people who live in the land where you are going. If you do, you will follow their evil ways and be trapped. 13 Instead, you must break down their pagan altars, smash their sacred pillars, and cut down their Asherah poles. 14 You must worship no other gods, for the Lord, whose very name is Jealous, is a God who is jealous about his relationship with you.
Exodus 34:12-14 

Do not be fooled into the latest trend or by what the world would have you believe. Other gods are none other than demons masquerading to be gods. This has been going on forever people! 

No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. 
1 Corinthians 10:20

There has never been a sacrifice of gold or silver in the form of an image that could do anything for you, but there is one Lamb that can.
18 For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And it was not paid with mere gold or silver, which lose their value. 19 It was the precious blood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God. 
1 Peter 1:18-19

But those who trust in idols,
    who say, ‘You are our gods,’
    will be turned away in shame. Isaiah 42:17


“But you are my witnesses, O Israel!” says the Lord.
    “You are my servant.
You have been chosen to know me, believe in me,
    and understand that I alone am God.
There is no other God—
    there never has been, and there never will be.
11 I, yes I, am the Lord,
    and there is no other Savior. Isaiah 43:10-11


Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.
    He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation,[a]
16 for through him God created everything
    in the heavenly realms and on earth.
He made the things we can see
    and the things we can’t see—
such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world.
    Everything was created through him and for him.

Colossians 1:15-16

Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else—not only in this world but also in the world to come. Ephesians 1:21 

Even the demons acknowledge Jesus is Lord over all! So, why do so many people still follow demons?

 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God.[a] Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. James 2:19

Many were possessed by demons; and the demons came out at his command, shouting, “You are the Son of God!” But because they knew he was the Messiah, he rebuked them and refused to let them speak. Luke 4:41

When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, “Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!” Luke 10:17

Only by your power can we push back our enemies;
only in your name can we trample our foes. 

Psalm 44:5

What God IS.
What would God look like if we saw Him?
Ezekiel had a supernatural vision of God in Ezekiel 1 & 10. God is a supernatural spirit. Jesus explains this to the woman at the well.

For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.” John 4:24

Jesus tells the Samaritan woman what God is looking for in a worshiper. 

But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way. John 4:23

If you want to get to know God and his characteristics you only need to read Psalms. It is a beautifully written book of songs that give praise to God and all of the mighty things He can and will do.
It is as true today as it was in King David's day. Because God is the same throughout time. He is a constant rock that you can build a solid foundation of faith in. 


Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8

The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the power that saves me,
and my place of safety. Psalm 18:2

Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
your justice like the ocean depths.
You care for people and animals alike, O Lord.
How precious is your unfailing love, O God!
All humanity finds shelter
in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 36:5-7

I will bless the Lord who guides me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
 I know the Lord is always with me.
    I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
 
No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.[a]
    My body rests in safety. 
For you will not leave my soul among the dead[b]or allow your holy one[c] to rot in the grave.
 
You will show me the way of life,
    granting me the joy of your presence
    and the pleasures of living with you forever.[d
Psalm 16:7-11
Pointing your spiritual compass to God is seeking Him. 
If you really want to know God/Jesus the Holy Spirit will reveal it to you.

Seek the Kingdom of God[a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. Matthew 6:33
But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. 
1 Corinthians 2:10
Resources: 
What is an Asherah Pole?
Who was Baal?
What does God look like?

All glory and honor to my Lord Jesus Christ,

Sherry

I will be linking up with these parties:
Mommy Moments at Life of Faith- Sun evening
The Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims
Moments of Hope at Lori Schumaker

Soul Survival link up
Tuesday Talk with Sarah E. Frazer
Breakthru Linkup at Breakthrough Homeschooling
Tell Us His Story at Jennifer Dukes Lee- Tues eve
Grace Moments at Journeys in Grace
Thought Provoking Thursdays at 3-D Lessons for Life
Grace and Truth at Above the Waves
Fresh Market Friday Crystal Twaddell
Faith and Friends at Counting My Blessings

The Homemaking Party at Classical Homemaking

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good truths. We fall so easily when following the Lord is where we need to be. Thank you for this encouragement and love throughout.

Karen Woodall said...

IT's amazing to me how many people acknowledge the presence of demons and evil spirits, but reject a loving and caring God. It seems only logical that if one were to believe in spirits, then the idea of 'spiritual' good wouldn't be too hard to accept too. But then, it takes the Holy Spirit to open blind eyes and without a response to Him, then people only see what they want to see. Thanks for your post!